Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Zippo Challenge



This week’s challenge is The Zippo Challenge

The challenge was to use a limited palette using Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue and White. The white of the paper is what is used for white when painting in watercolor.

To look at a photo of a Zippo lighter, reminded me of my dad, the smell and sound of the cigarette lighting ritual.

It’s getting late in the week and late in the day so I just thought I would knock out a little painting. Recycling paintings that were not successful, I tear them up to use the back as a color swatch or a small painting (thumbnail). If framed I wasn’t sure if I would matt it because of the size – SO I taped off the perimeter. And I wanted to share the deckled edge that all of my paintings on paper have.

Happy Painting,

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing your inspiration in my comments! loved your story and now I love your watercolors
    I'm an oil painter - watercolors to me are super scary :)

    ReplyDelete